IS THE STOCK MARKET OPEN ON THANKSGIVING, NOVEMBER 24TH, 2022?
Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Christmas are coming soon, but is the stock market open on November 24th, 2022?
The festive season seems to be on its way, with amazing deals already out for Black Friday. Not to forget, with Thanksgiving falling on Thursday, November 24th, it also calls for a long holiday weekend in some US states.
But will the stock market function usually on all these days?
IS THE STOCK MARKET OPEN ON THANKSGIVING?
The stock market will not be open for Thanksgiving. This is not the only time that the market is closed. The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Nasdaq and US bond markets will shut for the day. The stock and NYSE use the same holiday closure schedule, writes Investors.
In fact, it does shut down for nine other days, throughout the year and these have been listed below:
- Martin Luther King’s Day – January 17
- Washington’s Birthday – February 21
- Good Friday – April 15
- Memorial Day – May 30
- Juneteenth – June 20
- Independence Day – July 4
- Labor Day – September 5
- Christmas Day – December 25
- New Year’s Day – December 31
IS IT OPEN ON BLACK FRIDAY?
The stock market will be open on Black Friday, but only for half a day, as per Saving Advice.
On this day, the market will function only from 9:30 am to 1 pm EST.
The outlet also notes that several other international markets may be open on this day, as they do not celebrate Black Friday or Thanksgiving.
WILL BLACK FRIDAY BE A FEDERAL HOLIDAY?
Black Friday is never a Federal holiday. However, the Friday after Thanksgiving is seen as a state holiday in 20 US states. These are California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.
With Thanksgiving falling on Thursday this year, some people can enjoy a four-day-long weekend. This means you can get all your Black Friday shopping done while also having a good time with your close friends and family members.
As for the Federal holidays, these have been mentioned below:
- New Year’s Day: Saturday, January 1st (Observed on Friday, December 31)
- Martin Luther King Jr Day: Monday, January 17th
- President’s Day: Monday, February 21st
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 30th
- Juneteenth: Sunday, June 19th (Observed on Monday, June 20th)
- Independence Day: Monday, July 4th
- Labor Day: Monday, September 5th
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day (Columbus Day): Monday, October 10th
- Veterans’ Day: Friday, November 11th
- Thanksgiving: Thursday, November 24th
- Christmas Day: Sunday, December 25th (Observed Monday, December 26th)