Under the influence of many global factors, modern man is focused on the virtual world and the possibilities of distance learning, work, shopping, and many other areas.
Accordingly, to be competitive and in demand, businesses must create platforms that will cover users’ needs. Today we will talk specifically about the field of education and, in particular, e-Learning Websites.
The worldwide e-learning market is projected to be worth $325 Billion in 2025. This is a considerable sum. But the question of how to make your project in this area successful remains open. We will review the main aspects.
- Choose a Business Model
Choosing your business model is the first step to creating an e-Learning Website. Generally speaking, this model determines how profit will be made. It identifies the services or products the business plans to sell, the target audience, and any expected and unexpected expenses.
In this way, you will have an action plan that will eliminate additional problems and ensure the sustainability of the business for a long time. IBM saved approximately $200 million after switching to e-learning by selecting a correct business strategy.
If we are talking specifically about the e-Learning Platform, then some of the possible models are as follows:
- Subscription. The essence of this model is that a person pays a certain amount once a month or a year and gets access to all the courses presented on your platform.
- Paid Certification. The user chooses a course, pays for it, and passes it, and for a certificate of knowledge confirmation based on the selected course, an additional fee is paid.
- Corporate Collaboration. As an e-Learning Website, you cooperate with existing educational institutions or organizations.
- Paid Courses. This option is about the distribution of funds between the platform roller and the teacher who presents his course on the platform. Immediately after the user’s purchase, the income is automatically distributed between these persons.
- Affiliate. When the user takes a course, the platform can offer him integrated links to certain additional materials that he may need during the period. The site automatically receives income after the user makes a purchase.
2. Define your e-Learning Website Budget Constraints
It is challenging to answer. Because many factors affect the question – how much does it cost to make a website.
It can be the company’s location that will be involved in the development, the scope of the project, the number of hours, etc. For example, the website development cost of a small and simple website can start at around $1,000, while a custom, complex web platform like Coursera may cost $300,000+.
The highest hourly fee for the required specialists for website development is in the USA (150/h), and the lowest is in Central Europe (50/h). If you estimate the number of hours required for creation, they will vary from 1000 to 2000.
In addition to the cost of the outsourcing company’s services, it is worth considering the comfort of cooperation with people because only with productive communication and a similar vision can you create a cool project.
3. Choose Essential Features of the e-Learning Platform
After you have chosen the most optimal model for your future e-Learning website, you can proceed to the core features. So let’s talk about MVP features in detail.
- Profile administration. To make your business safe, students and teachers must undergo authentication. This is usually done using an email, phone number, or password. You choose the option that suits you best. As for profile management, teachers and students have a slightly different approaches.
- Filter function. Most likely, a large number of courses will be presented on your platform, and to make it easier for the user to find the right one, you should add a filter based on various characteristics (cost, topic, duration, etc.)
- Dashboard. It is an information management tool that tracks, collects, and displays data, enabling users to track their learning status, progress, and course preferences.
- Course page. This will contain basic information about the course. You can talk about the author, learning format, description, student reviews, etc.
- Payment method. Learn more about the conditions for accepting payments in various banking systems. The most well-known and safest are payments via credit cards and PayPal.
- Tools for teachers and institutes. Provide convenient and straightforward options by adding different formats of educational material.
- Notification. A popular choice for mailing is through the mail. It’s effective in getting people to remember you, but you don’t need to overuse it and become dull.
- Admin panel. With its help, you will manage the website’s content and control its operation.
Author’s bio: Anastasiia Lastovetska is a technology writer at MLSDev, a software development company that builds web & mobile app solutions from scratch. She researches the area of technology to create great content about app development, UX/UI design, tech & business consulting.